NetBSD-SoC: Support for journaling for FFS
What is it?
The goal of the project is to add support for journaling for NetBSD FFS (Fast
In general a filesystem is a piece of software that manages storing and
organizing computer files and the data they contain to make it easy
to find and access them. No wonder that filesystems need to be extremely
reliable and have the facilities for preventing data losses and corruptions.
One of the approaches for ensuring data integrity is using journaling file
systems. Journaling, also referred to as logging, is a mechanism for ensuring
the correctness of on-disk data structures. Usually journaling file systems
maintain a transactional log (another term used to refer to the log is the
journal) that records all metadata operations and ensure that the log and
data buffers are synchronized in such a way to guarantee recoverability.
The problem is that the current version of NetBSD FFS doesn't support
Check out my personal blog where
i'm going to express my thoughts regarding this project.
- 2006-05-23: Google publishes accepted/rejected projects. Go!
- 2006-06-26: Google solicits mid-program mentor evaluations of student progress
- 2006-06-30: All mid-program evaluations of student progress due by 17.00 Pacific Standard Time
- 2006-08-21: All student projects due by 08.00 Pacific Standard Time
- 2006-09-05: All mentor and student evaluations due by 08.00 Pacific Standard Time
Mandatory (must-have) components:
Optional (would-be-nice) components:
I think the following documents may be quite useful for understanding
the advanced filesystem topics.
- Marshall Kirk McKusick, Keith Bostic, Michael J. Karels,
John S. Quaterman. The Design and Implementation of the 4.4 BSD
Operating System. 1996, Addison-Wesley Professional, ISBN 0201549794.
- Dominic Giampaolo. Practical File System Design with the Be
File System. 1999, Morgan Kaufmann Publishers, ISBN 1558604979.
- The NetBSD Developers. NetBSD Internals. Copyright © 2006
The NetBSD Foundation. (Link)
To be determined
| Kirill Kuvaldin <Kirill.Kuvaldin@gmail.com> |
| $Id: index.html,v 1.2 2006/05/30 13:02:30 kuvkir Exp $ |